Many guest houses in Chiang Mai are traditionally styled teak
The centre of Chiang Mai is full of guesthouses, which are for many visitors the ideal choice for appreciating the laid-back character of Chiang Mai and avoiding the overly commercial, touristy feel of expensive hotels.
There are so many guest hoses to choose from that you can literally wander around and take your pick, that's if the touts at the station haven't already gotten to you first. Rates vary from 100 - 500 baht, but you get what you pay for and some have very pokey bathrooms and no hot water (Chiang Mai can get quite chilly). Noise is another factor worth considering, so it's worth seeking out the small places tucked down an alley in the Old Town or adjacent areas. Since everything is within walking distance, there's no need to select the most convenient location.
Out of season (May - October) rates drop by as much as 30 per cent.
The most convenient area to stay is the Eastern side of the Old Town and West of Thapae Gate stretching as far as the Night Market and river. There are some upmarket guesthouses too (mentioned below) but many of the hotels available for booking here online are very affordable here in Chiang Mai and worth considering. Chiang Mai is one place you can afford comfort on a budget.
Here are some of our suggestions:
Note! Many small streets in Thailand are referred to as "sois" (lanes) off a larger street. Therefore an address such as 12, soi 5, Ratchadamnoen rd, means the 12th house of the 5th lane off Ratchadamnoen road (road is called "thanon" in Thai and abbreviated as Th.).
Chiang Mai guest houses in the Old Town
- Julie Guest house:
- popular for its cheap rooms, and adventure-tour specialized travel agency. Situated in a quiet section of Chiang Mai's historic old city. Dorms are 60 Baht, doubles 160/250/300 Baht (old and new building). 7/1 soi 5, Phra Pokklao Road. (053) 274 355. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, website: www.julieguesthouse.com
- Chiang Mai White House:
- a Lonely Planet favourite with clean rooms, good security, quiet location and nice garden. Rooms b400 with a/c, 12 soi 5, Ratchadamnoen rd. Tel. (053) 357 130. .
- Eagle House 2:
- centrally located with a good travellers centre, new rooms and nice outdoor area. Rooms b200, or b290 with a/c. 26 Ratwithi rd. Tel. (053) 418 494. .
- Gaps Guesthouse:
- just behind AUA with comfortable rooms in an antique teak house in a lovely garden. Cooking classes on offer. Rooms b450-800 with a/c. 3, soi 4, Ratchadamnoen rd. Tel. (053) 278 140. Email: email@example.com.
- Smile Guest House:
- very convenient yet quiet location near Thapae Gate, includes a pool, various styled/priced rooms and has atmosphere, but gets full. 5 Ratchamankha Rd. Rooms b400, b700 with a/c (053) 208661-3
- Lamchang House:
- nice wooden house with small garden restaurant, run by friendly old couple. Rooms with shared hot water, singles b100, doubles b180. 24 soi 7, Moon Muang rd. Tel. (053) 210 586.
- Chiang Mai Kristi House:
- popular, convenient and quiet location. Rooms b200. 14/2, soi 5, Ratchadamnoen rd. Tel. (053) 418 165.
- Banana Guesthouse:
- cheapest in town, dorm beds or rooms, popular with backpackers. Dorm beds: b80, doubles b240, singles b100. 4/9 Ratchapakinai rd. Tel. (053) 206 285. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Safe House:
- resembles a small apartment block, popular long-stay venue with all mod cons. Rooms b350 - b450, or b7,500 per month. 178 Ratchaphakhinai rd. Tel. (053) 418 955.
- tucked out the way but popular for long-stayers, offering full amenities, a gym and decent rooms. Rooms b450 with a/c. Monthly b6,000. 35 soi 7, Moon Muang (053) 418 280. Email: email@example.com
- Top North Guest House:
- located in southeast corner of moat among quaint lanes, a large popular place with great pool area and atmosphere. Normal rooms b250, a/c b400. (053) 279 623-25. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Guesthouses east of the Moat
- Sarah Guest House Chiang Mai:
- long running, established guest house offering cheap and convenient accommodation, in the very centre of Chiang Mai. Only 2 mins walk from the Night Bazaar or Tapae Gate. Trekking and cookery courses run from the guest house. 20 Thapae Rd., Soi 4, Chiang Mai 50100. Tel: (66 53) 208271. Fax: (66 53) 279423. Rooms b250 Website: sarahgh.hypermart.net. Email: email@example.com
- Parami Guest House:
- charming guest house in an authentic Lanna-Thai teak wooden house which is over a hundred years old and surrounds a private and breath-taking tropical garden. Parami is located in the centre of Chiang Mai, and close to the river. Address: 210 - 212 Charoenrat Rd. T. Watkate Tel +66 (0)53 266 139. Rooms b350, b550 with a/c Website: www.paramiguesthouse-chiangmai.com
- Galare Guesthouse:
- first class accommodation on riverfront, with all mod cons and hotel service. Rooms b1150 . 7/1 soi 2, Charoen Prathet rd. Tel. (053) 821 011. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- River View Lodge:
- well appointed rooms in spacious building with pool and lovely garden on riverfront. Rooms b1450 - b2000, plus seasonal discount. 25 soi 2, Charoen Prathet rd (053) 271 110.
- Baan Jong Come Guest House:
- a lovely upmarket place away from the busy streets, but central. Rooms b350, b450 (with a/c). 47 soi 4, Thapae rd (053) 274 823.
- Fang Guesthouse:
- quiet location, with comfortable rooms in four-storey apartment block. Also popular. Rooms b400 (with a/c). 46-48 Kampangding rd (053) 282 940.
- Lai Thai Guest House:
- popular place, alongside the moat with restaurant and pool. Rooms: b650 with a/c. 111/4-5 Kotchasan rd (053) 271 725. Email: email@example.com
- Thana Guesthouse:
- Israeli house of choice, with signs in Hebrew, Kosher food in the restaurant and good rooms. Rooms: b800 with a/c. 27/8 soi 4, Thapae rd (053) 279 794. Email: info@ThanaAdventure.com
- Chiang Mai Souvenir Guest House:
- conveniently located near Night Market, yet quiet, with nice outdoor eating area. Rooms b350, b500 with a/c. 116 Charoen Prathet rd (053) 818 786. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Little Home Guesthouse:
- near the Moat in modern Thai-styled building with private balconies. Rooms b350, b450 with a/c. 1/1 soi 3, Kotchasan rd (053) 206 939.
- River Ping Palace:
- lovely, quiet riverside location in old teak house, with creative food and friendly staff. Charoen Prathat rd, south near the Sheraton Hotel.